Thursday, July 23, 2009



I wrote “Terrorist” after the life of Sean Bell was extinguished by the NYPD and finished it a week before a Police Officer representing Inglewood PD shot and killed a 19 yr. old unarmed boy in the back. (and I almost forgot) Jena 6. And in the time in-between these occurrences I, for the first time in my life was at the wrong end of a standard issue law enforcing and often terror producing gun, wielded proudly by a Police Officer representing the LAPD.

I understand now how unarmed people are murdered in the dark by the same force we pay taxes for them to protect us.

One Officer on my driver side collecting my info. One BRIGHT LIGHT behind me so I cannot see whats behind me. Then, his partner seemingly sneaks up on my passenger side with gun already drawn, taps at the window with his gun pointed towards my chest.
(Now what do you suppose would’ve happened if I was startled?!? Jumped? Yelled? My hands were in my lap, all he had to do is say, “I couldn’t see his hands... and he made a sudden move...” and of course, “he fit the description...” )
Time’s up.
Lemme tell you what might’ve happened. He would’ve let loose his whole clip in my little chest and his partner would’ve ran over and for good measure emptied half of his clip in my back.

I understand now how unarmed people are murdered in the dark by the same force we pay taxes for them to protect us.

(Good thing I was more sleepy than scared causing my reflexes to be just a little slower than usual.)

Then I got to thinking (and connecting dots like I normally do).
I thought of Hannibal and bar Kochba and Nat Turner and Judah Maccabee. What do all these men have in common?
They are all classified as heroes to they’re people and as Terrorists to the systems they fought.

I had watched the movie “To catch a fire” about the Apartheid and was instantly reminded of all of this like it was one event. Then what I already knew, dawned on me again.
Oppressors create their own enemies.
This is why we had Black Panthers and Brown Berets, a Boston Tea Party, and even the United States of America.
One man’s Terrorist is often another man’s Hero.
But sadly, the story is often told by the winner and three fourths of the truth is suppressed.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you wrote "little chest." Hahaha! But, it was definitely a good read!

    My favorite part, "all he had to do is say, “I couldn’t see his hands... and he made a sudden move...” and of course, “he fit the description...” )" Getting into the mind of an institutional racist and killer.

    Judah's a Terrorist (and a litle bossy)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed a very good read. nigga that rhymed cuhz!

    I agree with you, on the whole thing judah. yes the world as a whole is subject to a racist and hypocritical mindstate.

    on the other hand I try and put myself in the other persons shoes. in regards to the sean bell situation (granted what was said in the report could have been a lie... and also i havent done a ton of research into this matter)

    he said he was going to the car to get the heat

    if im a undercover cop... and anybody says "im going to the car to get the heat" and the walks to his car, pops his trunk, or makes any movement to confirm what he just said .....

    ...IM FILLIN' THAT CAT FULL OF LEAD.

    ReplyDelete